Re-registration after interruption of studies

According to the General Admission Regulation of the HafenCity Universität (HCU) students can discontinue their studies for the following reasons:

  • Studying abroad (for up to two years)
  • To take care of a child until the age of three
  • Performing a civic duty according to article 12 a section 1 or 2 of the Grundgesetz or
  • a reason considered equal to the above

The application for re-registration needs to be made for the semester that directly follows the end of the maximum duration of the discontinuation. There is no specific form for the application for re-registration. The application deadline is the last day of the application period for the degree programmes. The application must be received by the Student Service Center by that date.


The approval of the application for re-registration is only possible when

  • the necessary documents to prove the above listed reasons are handed in
  • the degree programme has not expired
  • you did not finally fail an examination that is part of your study programme
  • there are no other reasons to prevent the re-registration