• International
  • Contact Information
  • Incoming
    • ----------
    • Visa
    • International Orientation
    • Welcome Guide
    • Further Information
    • ----------
  • Outgoing
  • Financial Support
  • Language Courses
  • Prizes and Awards
  • Information, Downloads & Links


Regular (degree) students

ADMISSIONS PROCESS for degree seeking students   (Exchange students please skip and jump to ERASMUS):

You can find very detailed information on entry requirements and the admissions procedure for regular, i.e. degree seeking students on our admissions website

Please note:  As a non German degree seeking applicant you have to apply via uniAssist first. uniAssist checks all your documents and certificates on legal aspects etc.  In a second step of application you ALSO have to do the online application at HCU directly within the deadline as described on our website.

If questions remain regarding the application process that the website does not answer, please post your question to our central student services department, solely via our online FAQ system:  http://ticket.hcu-hamburg.de/open.php

ERASMUS and non-EU exchange cooperations

HCU holds ERASMUS Bilateral Agreements with numerous European partner universities, and Memorandi of Understanding with non-EU partners. If you'd like to do one or two exchange semesters at HafenCity University, your home university will have to hold a bilateral agreement or MOU with us.


- You cannot apply directly at HafenCity University

- You have to be accepted as outgoing exchange student by one of our partner universities. You have to be officially nominated by your home Exchange Office

- After we receive the official nomination by our partners, we will send an email containing all necessary information and application documents to you directly. The Exchange application documents therefore cannot be found on this website

- Please note the language prerequesites at HCU: upon application a minimium german level of A 2 is being asked for, except in civil engineering and geomatics, where the minimum german level is B 1

EXCHANGE Deadlines:

Fall Term:
- Nomination by partner university: 01.05.
- Application by exchange student: 01.06.-15.07.

Spring Term:
- Nomination by partner university: 15.11.
- Application by exchange student: 01.12.-15.01.

Free Mover

If you want to do a guest semester at HCU but your home university does not have an exchange cooperation with us, you may apply as Free Mover.

Applications as Free Mover are possible only within the general application periods. For the summer term these are: from 01. December until 15. January, for the winter term: from 01. June until 15. July.

Further information is available under "Freemover" here: