You received an offer of admission and you want to enrol?

You will find here all important information about the erolment procedure.

Documents required for enrolment

If you want to accept the study place you must submit the completed enrolment application together with the necceassary documents to the administration office in due time (receipt stamp!). You will find the deadline to accept the study place on your admission letter.


The application for enrolment will be available for download in your ahoi application account under "My documents" after you have been admitted.

Please fill out the application correctly and carefully and make sure to sign it in the original. Applications with digital or scanned signatures will not be accepted.

If the application for enrolment does not have an original signature, your application cannot be processed and you will not be enrolled.

1. All applicants have to submit a certified copy of the higher education entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur).


  • for master applicants a simple copy is sufficient
  • if you applied via uni-assist a simple copy is sufficient


2. If you applied for the bachelor degree Architecture or Civil Engineering and you choose in the online application one of the professions, you have to submit a certified copy of your technical or specializied professional education.


3. If you acquired one or more academic degrees (e.g. diploma, bachelor or master) you have to submit a certified copy of your certificates. If you applied for a master degree and you couldn't prove your first academic degree you have to submit a proof of academic achievement in original or in a certified copy.


Please note:

If a certified certificate is copied or scanned again, it is no longer certified. 


Further information you will find here.


Proof of German language skills:

Admitted applicants with a Non-German higher education entrance qualification or with a Non-German first academic degree have to submit together with the enrollemnt application a certified copy of your German language certificate.


Proof of Englisch language skills:

If you got an admission for the following degree programmes you must submita certified copy of your English language certificate

  • Master's programme Geodesy and Geoinformatics (specialisation Hydrography)
  • Master's programme REAP (Resource Efficiency in Architecture and Planning)

A copy of your valid ID card (front and back) must be enclosed with the application for enrolment. The copy of the ID card is required for identification and for checking your current registration address. If there is no current registration address on the ID card or Passport, please also submit a current registration certificate (not older than 3 months).

Information for international students:

If you are not yet resident and registered in Germany, the registration certificate can be submitted after the start of the semester. All persons living in Germany are required by law to register at their place of residence.

According to section 5 paragraph 1 no. 9 of the Fünften Buches Sozialgesetzbuch (SGB V), students are generally required to have a public health insurance. You need to provide the insurance status during the enrollment process. The exchange of the insurance status (public insured or exempt from public insured) between HafenCity Universität (HCU) and the public health insurance companies takes place via an electronic reporting procedure.

Thus, once you receive an admission letter, contact a public health insurance provider immediately and have yourself insured or exempted so that HafenCity University can be notified about your insurance status. If we do not receive notification about your insurance status, your enrollment cannot be finalized and lead to re-registration.

To notify HafenCity University of your insurance status, public health insurance providers may need HCU sender number for the transmission of your insurance status. This is: H0003246.

Statutory health insurance exemption

If by enrolling you are required to take out a student public health insurance policy, you can under certain conditions seek an exemption. Any public health insurance providers can notify the HCU if you are exempted from public health insurance.

  • Private health insurance: If you wish to remain insured privately (e.g., you are insured through a parental insurance policy), you can seek an exemption from the public health insurance obligation. This is true also for those who are eligible for aid and are receiving medical welfare benefits or military benefits.
  • Over 30: If you are over 30, you are not required to take out student public health insurance when you enroll. Due to your age, you can seek an exemption.
  • European health insurance: If you are publicly insured in another European country, you can use this policy in Germany.

If one of the above cases applies to you, then get in touch with a German public health insurance provider so that a notification about the exemption from statutory health insurance can be sent to the HCU.

Make sure that a public health insurance provider thoroughly informs you about the consequences of an exemption before they grant one. If you accept an exemption, it applies for the duration of your studies and cannot be revoked.

Information for international students

Students insured in a European country are exempt from the insurance obligation as a rule. Contact a German public health insurance provider to have the exemption confirmed.

Travel health insurance does not provide sufficient coverage for studies in Germany. Therefore, do not take out travel health insurance for the duration of your stay.

Please make sure that your health insurance covers all health risks, as high treatment costs apply, which you have to bear if not covered by your insurance. For inquiries concerning health insurance coverage in Germany, please contact the Counselling Center for Social & International Affairs (BeSI) at the Studierendenwerk Hamburg.

International students who can take out valid insurance only once they are in Germany can notify us accordingly after they arrive.

If you need proof of health insurance to apply for a visa, you can take out a provisional policy to cover the first 3 months of your stay. Once you arrive in Hamburg, you then take out health insurance for the duration of your studies.

The city of Hamburg provides further information on health insurance for international students.

Note: Any type of health insurance that is not provided by a German public health insurance provider must be reviewed by a public health provider. If your health insurance policy provides sufficient coverage for the duration of your studies in Germany, any German public health provider can notify us of your exemption from the public health insurance obligation.


Admitted applicants who were or are enrolled at other universities (Germany or foreign countries) must prove that they have de-enrolled from these institutions. Thus, you must include a simple copy of your de-enrollment certificates. If you don't have a de-enrollment certificate of the university you attended, please submit a certification which indicates the time to degree, the university semester, the target degree and the degree programme.


You must pay the semester contribution within the acceptance periode (see admission letter). Please submit together with the enrollment application your a copy of the bank statement showing that you have already payed the semester contribution. Information about the payment you will find in the notice of the semester contribution. You will find that in your ahoi account.


We need from you a passport photo for the HCU-card. The HCU-card is your student ID card and serve as a cashless means of payment in the cafeteria and as a copy card.

You must upload the passport photo via your ahoi account. Please login to your ahoi account and follow the following instruction: Please click service / change / picture upload / browse (durchsuchen). Please choose your passport photo file and afterwards click "start upload". If the upload was succesful a confirmation window appears. Now you can close the window. After that please click "save". Your passport photo is only in the system if you click "save".


Requirements of the passport photo:

  • jpg file
  • frontal face picture
  • neutral facial expression (serve as identification)
  • no veil in the face
  • good exposition of the picture without reflections and shadows on the face or backround
  • good sharpness of the Picture

You can use the Online Passport Photo Genearator to meet the requirements for the passport photo upload.



We will enroll you as a student, if your enrolment documents are complete. The login details to your ahoi account as well as for your HCU webmail account will be sent by post after the enrolment has been processed. You can download in your ahoi account the online semester certificate and the § 9 BAföG certifcate. Information about the distribution of the HCU-Card (students identity card) you will get by email before the semester starts.

The admission to study will lose its vadility if

  • the deadline was missed,
  • received documents are incomplete,
  • copies of certificates are not official certified,
  • the semester contribution was not paid before the end of the deadline and/or
  • there is other ground for denying approval  according to the law in force.