--------------------
  • University
  • The Development of the HCU
    • ----------
    • Milestones
    • The New Structure
    • Lehrprofil
    • Forschungsprofil
    • ----------
  • Structure of the HCU
  • Einrichtungen der HCU
  • Arbeitsgebiete / Professuren
  • Veranstaltungskalender
  • Raumvermietung (Referat Bau)
  • HCU Stipendien und Preise
  • Stellenausschreibungen
  • Öffentliche Ausschreibungen
  • Services und Kontakt
--------------------

Milestones

Milestones of the HafenCity University Hamburg (HCU)

At the turn of the millennium, the Hamburg Senate recognised that the standardisation of higher education degrees in the course of the Bologna Process would lead to a convergence of universities and universities of applied sciences. At the same time, there was a growing realisation that the pressing issues facing society could increasingly only be successfully addressed through consistent interdisciplinary teaching and research. The vision of a new type of university arose from these two development strands, which was realised with the HCU Hamburg.

The Hamburg Senate appoints Prof. Dr. Jörg Müller-Lietzkow as President of HafenCity University on 1 July 2019.  

Müller-Lietzkow is an economist and recognised digital expert. After working in Wuppertal, Bamberg and Jena, he had previously been Professor of Media Economics and Media Management at the Institute of Media Studies at the University of Paderborn since 2008. In addition to the office of President, Müller-Lietzkow also holds a professorship for Economics and Digitalisation at the HCU.

Parallel to his academic activities, Müller-Lietzkow regularly acts as business and politics advisor in digital matters. In 2018 he was appointed to the Enquete Commission on Artificial Intelligence of the German Bundestag.

Hamburg's Building-University celebrates the 250th anniversary of the start of academic building training in Hamburg in a ceremony with invited guests on 18 May 2017. As the University of Architecture and Metropolitan Development, HCU embodies the academic building education in Hamburg like no other Hamburg institution. The latter began 250 years ago with the founding of the architectural draughtsman class by the Patriotic Society. From these early beginnings in 1767, a direct line can be drawn to today's HCU Hamburg, which not only sees itself as a University of Architectural Art, but also directs its interdisciplinary teaching towards the future of metropolitan areas.

The HCU celebrated its first round birthday in January 2016 in a ceremony with invited guests.

In June 2015, the HCU Hamburg concluded a cooperation agreement with the Media Lab of the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). The aim of the newly opened CityScienceLab at the HCU Hamburg is to research and constructively participate in shaping the changes of cities through new digital representation methods and modelling techniques. To this end, urban change processes are investigated and scientifically evaluated, especially in Hamburg. In the first project, the scientists of the CityScienceLab developed the interactive city model "FindingPlaces" on the initiative of Olaf Scholz, the First Mayor of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg: Between May and July 2016, around 400 Hamburg citizens searched for and found areas for refugee accommodation with the help of HCU Hamburg.

"FindingPlaces" im CityScienceLab der HCU, Bild: Walter Schießwohl

Bild: Walter Schießwohl

"Universität der Nachbarschaften" 2009-2014, Bild: HCU Hamburg

Bild: HCU Hamburg

"Visiting Professor" 2016, Bild: HCU Hamburg

Bild: HCU Hamburg

More than 800 guests came to the opening of the first annual exhibition at the university's new location in HafenCity in November 2014 to experience the presentations of the best student projects.

At last, what has long since belonged together, now also grows together strategically and professionally: After four years of construction, around 300 employees and around 2,400 students from HCU Hamburg move into the new building in HafenCity in April 2014. On 2 June 2014, HCU Hamburg celebrate its academic inauguration with Olaf Scholz, the First Mayor of the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg. The move lays the foundations for interdisciplinary research and teaching with a high level of practical relevance in the middle of HafenCity.Europe's largest inner-city urban development project offers students and scientists alike the charm of the city laboratory on their own doorstep.

In the spring of 2013, HCU Hamburg founds the HCU Hamburg supporting association, waterfront e.V. Companies, associations and individuals can become members and exchange views and ideas in a professional network on the topics of building and urban development.

On 27 April 2012 the HCU Hamburg awards the honorary doctorate to Prof. Dr.-Ing. h.c. Volkwin Marg, Hamburg architect and bearer of the Federal Cross of Merit.

In 2012, the City of Hamburg concludes new university agreements with its state universities. In this step, the State Ministry of Science and Research and the HCU Hamburg agree to compensate for existing deficits from the founding period. Following intensive negotiations, the university receives further financial support to secure its existence. In return, the HCU ensures to undertake a budget restructuring and to implement a comprehensive restructuring process (Structural and Development Plan 2014-2020).

Laying of the foundation stone in HafenCity: At the push of a button on 13 December 2010, former Science Senator Herlind Gundelach and HCU President Dr.-Ing. Walter Pelka set the first of 612 bored piles supporting the future structure in front of invited guests.

Plan des neuen Universitätsgebäudes 2007, Bild: Code Unique

Bild: Code Unique

Bohrpfahllegung für das neue Universitäts-Gebäude 2010, Bild: HCU Hamburg

Bild: HCU Hamburg

Das Universitäts-Gebäude 2014, Bild: Christof Haake

Bild: Christof Haake

The Hamburg Senate appoints Dr.-Ing. Walter Pelka as the new President of the HafenCity University Hamburg as of 1 October 2010. He was previously Managing Director of DEKRA Industrial GmbH. He headed the classification, testing and certification company Bureau Veritas S.A. and worked for the consulting engineering company Lahmeyer International. Pelka studied and received his doctorate in civil engineering at the RWTH Aachen University, where - after a research stay in Berkeley (USA) - he was also head of the research area "Groundwater".

Prof. Dr. Gerd Albers, former rector of the TU Munich and emeritus professor of urban and regional planning, is the first to receive an honorary doctorate from HCU Hamburg on 9 February 2010.

In 2009, the Hamburg parliament decides to construct a new university building in the newly emerging HafenCity district. On the site at Magdeburger Hafen/Baakenhafen harbour, the first building block to be realised is the new university building, which is to fit in with the urban development concept of HafenCity. In line with Hamburg's climate protection programme, the new building is intended to meet the requirements of sustainable architecture far beyond the legal requirements and set standards in terms of energy saving and working conditions. In an international architectural competition, the design of the Code Unique office from Dresden was convincing. For its particular sustainability, the HCU building will be awarded the "HafenCity Gold Standard" prize from HafenCity GmbH in 2016.

In the winter semester 2008/09, the Master's programmes Resource Efficiency in Architecture and Planning (REAP) and Urban Design as well as the Bachelor's programme Culture of the Metropolis complement the courses offered at HCU Hamburg.

Jahresausstellung 2006, Bild: HCU Hamburg

Bild: HCU Hamburg

Jahresausstellung 2010, Bild: HCU Hamburg

Bild: HCU Hamburg

Jahresausstellung 2014, Bild: Walter Pelka

Bild: Walter Pelka

In summer 2006, HCU Hamburg presents for the first time a selection of the best student works and projects from all courses of study in the Cruise Terminal in HafenCity.

Prof. Dr. Steven Spier is appointed as the first president of the HCU Hamburg on 1 January 2006. Spier was previously Professor of Design and Theory of Architecture and Head of the Department of Architecture at Strathclyde University Glasgow, worked as Senior Lecturer at London South Bank University and as a research assistant at ETH Zurich. Spier resigns after a four-year term of office on 31 January 2010.

HafenCity University Hamburg (HCU) is founded by the Free and Hanseatic City of Hamburg on 1 January 2006 as the University of Architecture and Metropolitan Development on the basis of a Senate resolution passed in 2004. For this purpose, four building and planning-related departments from three Hamburg universities (HAW Hamburg, HfBK Hamburg, TU Hamburg-Harburg) are brought together. Interdisciplinarity and the consistent use of synergies of the integrated disciplines are to characterise the scientific mission statement of the new university. The range of courses offered at the time of its foundation includes architecture, civil engineering, geomatics and urban planning. Research, teaching and administration of the newly founded university are initially spread over locations in the districts of Uhlenhorst (Mundsburg) and Winterhude (City Nord).

The history of building education in Hamburg from 1767

The HCU Hamburg is the result of the merger of four departments from three Hamburg universities in 2006.  Historically, however, its roots go back much further. The university is rooted in the industrial-technical and artistic predecessor institutions, the former building school and the school of arts and crafts. Their traditions, in turn, can be traced back to the late 18th century.

Haus der Patriotischen Gesellschaft von 1765 e.V., Ansicht Börsenbrücke nach 1847, Quelle: Hamburger Staatsarchiv

Hamburger Staatsarchiv

Allgemeine Gewerbeschule und Museum am Steintorplatz, Ansicht um 1880, Quelle: Hamburger Staatsarchiv

Hamburger Staatsarchiv

Aula der Hochschule für Bildende Künste, ehemals Kunstgewerbeschule am Lerchenfeld, Quelle: Hamburger Staatsarchiv

Hamburger Staatsarchiv

1978 wurde die Technische Universität Hamburg gegründet. Der Studiengang Stadtplanung wurde an der TU Hamburg gelehrt und im Jahr 2006 an die HCU Hamburg überführt.

Die Staatliche Hochschule für bildende Künste erhielt im Jahr 1970 den Status einer künstlerisch-wissenschaftlichen Hochschule und bot Architektur als Studiengang an. 2006 wurde der Fachbereich in die HCU Hamburg eingegliedert.

In Hamburg nahm die neue Institution Fachhochschule (seit 2001: Hochschule für Angewandte Wissenschaften Hamburg, HAW), zu der nun die drei Abteilungen der Bauschule gehörten, am 1. April 1970 den Lehrbetrieb auf. Bis zur Gründung der HCU Hamburg im Jahr 2006 wurden hier Architektur, Bauingenieurwesen und Geomatik gelehrt.

1962 erhielt die Bauschule einen neuen Namen: Ingenieurschule für Bauwesen. 1963 wurde an der Hebebrandstraße der Grundstein gelegt für ein neues Schulgebäude, 1965 wurde es eingeweiht. Im Herbst 1968 einigten sich sämtliche Bundesländer darauf, ihre Ingenieurschulen in Fachhochschulen umzuwandeln und damit die Ausbildung der Ingenieure mehr als bisher auf wissenschaftliche Grundlagen zu stellen. Die Neugründung von Hochschulen in Hamburg in den 1970er-Jahren sollte die wissenschaftliche Kompetenz der Region stärken. Die heutigen Studienprogramme und Forschungsschwerpunkte der HCU Hamburg waren bis zum Jahr 2006 auf drei unterschiedliche Hochschulen verteilt.

An der Bauschule begann mit dem Wintersemester 1945/46 wieder der Unterricht. Ihr Direktor Wilhelm Ohm (1905-1965), selbst Maler und Architekt, der die Schule seit 1950 leitete, sorgte für eine vielseitigere Ausbildung des Ingenieurnachwuchses. Das Lehrangebot in den Fächern Hochbau und Tiefbau wurde durch technisch-wissenschaftliche und künstlerische Vortragsreihen sowie durch Exkursionen ergänzt. Aus seiner Sicht war die Bauschule der geeignete Ort zur Ausbildung von Architekten, weil sie hier die notwendigen ingenieurwissenschaftlichen Grundlagen erlernten. 

Nach dem Ende der NS-Zeit nahm die Landeskunstschule, wie sie nun wieder hieß, schon im Januar 1946 ihre Arbeit wieder auf, trotz großer Zerstörungen am Schulgebäude. Sie ging konsequent den Weg weiterer Akademisierung und wurde 1955 Staatliche Hochschule für bildende Künste. Ihr Direktor Gustav Hassenpflug (1907-1977) forcierte ab 1950 erneut den Ausbau der Architekturabteilung, da ihm die Künste ohne Architektur nicht möglich erschienen. 

Die Landeskunstschule verlor durch mehrfache Entlassungswellen, die sich gegen jüdische und kulturpolitisch unliebsame Personen, z. B. „Bauhäusler“, richtete, etliche Lehrer. Ende 1933 wurde sie in Hansische Hochschule für bildende Künste umbenannt. Konzeptionell wandte sie sich wieder mehr dem Handwerklichen zu, auch in der Architektur. Der Krieg führte zu großen Zerstörungen am Gebäude der Hochschule.

Die Kunstgewerbeschule, obwohl formal Teil des gewerblichen Ausbildungswesens, akzentuierte mehr und mehr ihre künstlerische und akademische Ausrichtung. Ab 1928 hieß sie Landeskunstschule. Mit der Berufung Karl Schneiders (1892-1945) an die Landeskunstschule im Jahr 1930 und der Einrichtung des neuen Faches „Architektur und Raumkunst“ sollte das Architekturstudium – bis dahin wurden die Fächer Raumkunst, Möbelentwurf und Raumdekoration unterrichtet – verbessert werden. Schneiders Entlassung aus dem Amt 1933 unterbrach diese Entwicklung. 

Die von Fritz Schumacher (1869-1947) erbaute und 1913 eingeweihte neue Kunstgewerbeschule setzte mit ihrer großzügigen Ausstattung und den umfangreichen Lehrwerkstätten Maßstäbe. Sie berücksichtigte alle Niveaus einer künstlerischen Erziehung, von der einfachen Kunstschule bis zur Kunsthochschule. Die bis dahin beachtete Trennung zwischen freier Kunst und Kunsthandwerk galt als überholt. An der Spitze der künstlerischen Ausbildung sollte fortan die Architektur stehen, wie es der Direktor Richard Meyer (1864-1953) forderte.

Aus der Schule für Bauhandwerker war 1897 die Baugewerkschule geworden. Der Unterricht fand in den Räumen der Allgemeinen Gewerbeschule am Steintorplatz statt. Der Lehrplan orientierte sich an den technischen Fächern. Nach dem Schulbesuch von fünf Semestern konnten sich Schüler als Techniker bei Architekten, Bauingenieuren oder im mittleren öffentlichen Dienst bewerben. Seit 1923 gehörte die Schule zu den Staatlichen Technischen Schulen. 1939 wurde sie als Bauschule der Hansestadt Hamburg selbständig, zu den bestehenden beiden Abteilungen Hoch- und Tiefbau kam 1941 der dreisemestrige Studiengang Vermessung hinzu. 

1896 eröffnete die Kunstgewerbeschule unter dem Dach der Allgemeinen Gewerbeschule, 1905 wurde sie eine eigenständige Einrichtung. Voraussetzung für den Schulbesuch war in der Regel eine abgeschlossene Lehre. Ziel war es, junge Leute mit einer weiteren künstlerischen und wissenschaftlichen Ausbildung auf eine Berufslaufbahn als Zeichner oder Werkführer in Handwerk und Kunstindustrie vorzubereiten. 

1876 zogen die Allgemeine Gewerbeschule und die Schule für Bauhandwerker in ein eigenes, neu errichtetes Gebäude am Steintorplatz um, das damals zugleich als Museumsgebäude konzipiert wurde. Heute ist es alleiniger Sitz des Museums für Kunst und Gewerbe, seinerzeit war das Museum auch zur praktischen Anschauung und als Ergänzung zum Unterricht für die angehenden (Kunst-)Handwerker eingerichtet worden.

Am 7. Mai 1865 ging die Zeichnungsschule an den hamburgischen Staat über. Bis zu dieser Zeit existierte in Hamburg kein gewerbliches Schulwesen. Es entstand eine Allgemeine Gewerbeschule, an der Abend- und Sonntagsunterricht stattfand, und eine spezielle Schule für Bauhandwerker, die am 1. Novemer 1865 mit dem Unterricht begann. Junge Handwerker sollten in den Wintermonaten an dieser Schule, jeweils sechs Stunden wöchentlich, mit den bautechnischen Wissenschaften vertraut gemacht und zu tüchtigen Meistern ausgebildet werden. Der Unterricht fand weiterhin im Haus der Patriotischen Gesellschaft an der Trostbrücke statt.

1770 kam zu der Bauzeichenschule eine weitere Abteilung hinzu, die Schule für Freihandzeichnungen, in der Kurse für Hand- und Dekorationszeichnungen angeboten wurden. Der Name „Zeichnungsschule“ bürgerte sich ein. Im Jahr 1790 erweiterte die Patriotische Gesellschaft ihr Bildungsangebot nochmals: sie richtete „technologische Vorlesungen“ ein, damit „hiesige junge Künstler, Handwerker und Fabrikanten“, in den Wintermonaten die Grundlagen der Mathematik, Technologie, Mechanik, Naturlehre und Chemie kennenlernen konnten. Die Vorlesungen existierten bis 1813. Zu den Schülern der Zeichnungsschule gehörten bedeutende Hamburger Baumeister, wie zum Beispiel Johann August Arens (1757-1806), Alexis de Chateauneuf (1799-1853) und Carl Ludwig Wimmel (1786-1845).

1767 rief die „Gesellschaft zur Beförderung der Künste, Manufacturen und nützlichen Gewerbe“ (die noch heute existierende Patriotische Gesellschaft von 1765) eine „Bauzeichenschule für angehende Handwerker“ ins Leben. Die Gesellschaft bestand aus Hamburger Bürgern, die sich der Aufklärung verpflichtet fühlten und für das Wohl ihrer Stadt wirken wollten. Die neue Schule sollte ergänzend und erweiternd zur handwerklichen Ausbildung durch die Zünfte wirken. Die Anfänge waren äußerst bescheiden: Unter Anleitung eines Maurermeisters und in dessen Wohnung wurden zunächst zwölf junge Leute unentgeltlich drei Stunden wöchentlich in „Baurissen“ unterrichtet. Treibende Kräfte bei der Errichtung der Schule waren der Aufklärer und Ökonom Johann Georg Büsch (1728-1800) und der Mathematiker und Architekt Ernst Georg Sonnin (1713-1794).