• Student Services
  • Current Information
  • Advice and Contact
  • For Applicants
    • ----------
    • Degree programmes
    • Application Dates
    • Application bachelor programme
    • Application master programme
    • International applicants
    • Language skills
    • Admission and enrolment
      • ----------
      • Enrolment
      • Certified copies
      • Authorization
      • waiver of study place
      • ----------
    • Information for first semester
    • ----------
  • For Students
  • Examination office
  • Exchange Students
  • Freemover
  • Gast- und NebenhörerInnen


You received an offer of admission and you want to enrol?

You will find here all important information about the erolment procedure.

Documents required for enrolment

If you want to accept the study place you must submit the completed enrolment application together with the necceassary documents to the administration office in due time (receipt stamp!). You will find the deadline to accept the study place on your admission letter.



1. All applicants have to submit a certified copy of the higher education entrance qualification (e.g. Abitur).


  • for master applicants a simple copy is sufficient
  • if you applied via uni-assist, than you don't need to submit your certificates again. We already have the certificates.


2. If you applied for the bachelor degree Architecture or Civil Engineering and you choose in the online application one of the professions, you have to submit a certified copy of your technical or specializied professional education.


3. If you acquired one or more academic degrees (e.g. diploma, bachelor or master) you have to submit a certified copy of your certificates. If you applied for a master degree and you couldn't prove your first academic degree you have to submit a proof of academic achievement in original or in a certified copy.


Do you have questions about the form of a certified copy, you will find more information here.

Proof of German language skills:

Admitted applicants with a Non-German higher education entrance qualification or with a Non-German first academic degree have to submit together with the enrollemnt application a certified copy of your German language certificate.


Proof of Englisch language skills:

If you got an admission for the following degree programmes you must submita certified copy of your English language certificate

  • Master's programme Geodesy and Geoinformatics (specialisation Hydrography)
  • Master's programme REAP (Resource Efficiency in Architecture and Planning)

Furthermore you must submit a simple uncertified copy (of both sides) of your German personal identification card or residence registration certificate (not older than 3 months).


Notes for international students:

If you aren't yet registered in Germany you can submit the residence registration certificate after the begin of semester. Everyone who lives in Germany is legally obligated to register at the registration office.

You need to submit, in addition to your application for enrollment, proof of health insurance coverage. Please contact the responsible health insurance agency for proper documents.


State health insurance agencies provide the following information to all applicants:

  • whether you are insured independently or through your parents' health insurance policy (this document must also include the ref. no. of your insurance agency and your ref. no.).
  • whether you are exempt from an insurance obligation, e.g. because you are insured through a private agency (all state agencies can issue a statement to this effect).


Exemption for privately-insured students:

If you are obligated to take out health insurance as a student but would prefer to stay insured through your parents' private policy, you can apply for an exemption from state insurance coverage. All state agencies may issue proof thereof.

PLEASE NOTE! - We strongly urge you to consult a state agency about the consequences of exemption from the state insurance obligation. Once you are officially exempt, you may not retract the decision for the duration of your studies!


Notes for international students:

  • Students who have an European health insurance card need for the duration of studies in Germany a German health insurance coverage. A copy of the European health insurance card is not sufficient.
  • Travel health insurance does not provide sufficient coverage for the duration of studies in Germany. Therefore, please do not take out travel health insurance for your stay.
  • If you need to prove that you have health insurance in order to apply for a visa, you can enter Germany with a travel health insurance. Once you arrive in Hamburg, you have to conclude a German health insurance for the length of your stay.


If you are currently living abroad and do not yet have valid health insurance in Germany, you will need to submit proof of health insurance immediately following arrival in Germany.

Admitted applicants who were or are enrolled at other universities (Germany or foreign countries) must prove that they have de-enrolled from these institutions. Thus, you must include a simple copy of your de-enrollment certificates. If you don't have a de-enrollment certificate of the university you attended, please submit a certification which indicates the time to degree, the university semester, the target degree and the degree programme.


You must pay the semester contribution within the acceptance periode (see admission letter). Please submit together with the enrollment application your a copy of the bank statement showing that you have already payed the semester contribution. Information about the payment you will find in the notice of the semester contribution. You will find that in your ahoi account.


We need from you a passport photo for the HCU-card. The HCU-card is your semester ticket and serve as a cashless means of payment in the cafeteria and as a copy card.

You must upload the passport photo via your ahoi account. Please login to your ahoi account and follow the following instruction: Please click service / change / picture upload / browse (durchsuchen). Please choose your passport photo file and afterwards click "start upload". If the upload was succesful a confirmation window appears. Now you can close the window. After that please click "save". Your passport photo is only in the system if you click "save".


Requirements of the passport photo:

  • jpg file
  • frontal face picture
  • neutral facial expression (serve as identification)
  • no veil in the face
  • good exposition of the picture without reflections and shadows on the face or backround
  • good sharpness of the Picture

You can use the Online Passport Photo Genearator to meet the requirements for the passport photo upload.



If you have paid the semester contribution within the periode, your documents received the HCU completely and in time and we proved them formally, we will enroll you as a student. You will get new access data for your ahoi account. The certificate of BaföG and the certificate of study you will find in your ahoi account for download. Information about the distribution of the HCU-Card (students identity card and HVV SemesterTicket) you will get before the semester starts. 



If you don't meet the deadline of enrollment or you don't include authorized copies of proof, the HafenCity University will revoke its offer of admission according to § 9 AZO.