• IT and media
  • Library
    • ----------
      • ----------
      • Open Access in research
      • Forschungsergebnisse publizieren
      • Publishing a doctoral thesis
      • Publishing student papers
      • ISBN
      • Reference Management
      • Citavi
      • Urheberrecht
      • ----------
    • ABOUT US
    • ----------
  • Information Technology
  • Medien & Didaktik
  • Kartographie

Open access in research

Open access stands for the free flow of scientific information on the internet. Scientific information is supposed to be freely available, without any technical, legal, or financial barriers.

Many organisations support open access, e.g., the UNESCO or the German Alliance of Scientific Organisations (Allianz der Wissenschaftsorganisationen).
In Hamburg, the Senate has implemented Hamburg Open Science, a cross-university program to make publicly funded research results freely accessible and easy to find. You can see the results in the Open Science portal.

Open access has many advantages for scientists. Numerous studies show that publications that are made available in open access are downloaded and cited more often than traditional publications which are behind paywalls. Open access accelerates scientific communication. It makes international and interdisciplinary collaboration more easy. In addition, publishing your work in a repository will, in most cases, ensure long-term storage. All the advantages and also the disadvantages of open access are discussed in detail on the platform open-access.network.

There are two ways to make your publication open access: gold open access and green open access.

How can I find out whether an open access journal ensures good quality?

If you are unsure about a journals quality, you can use a simple checklist which you find on the website think.check.submit. This will help you in making an informed decision.

You can also check if the journal is on the whitelist Directory of Open Access Journals. The directory only includes journals that meet certain quality standards.

If you received a dubious email from a publisher, you can also forward it to us: digitaledienste(at)hcu-hamburg.de.

Another helpful tool for choosing a journal is the list of frequently cited open access journals which was put together by the National Contact Point Open Access in Germany.

I have to pay an article processing charge (APC) for my open access article. What is the procedure for paying it at HCU?

For the payment of the publication fee, a review and approval by the HCU purchasing department is necessary. Therefore, before submitting the paper, please fill out a purchase requisition and send it signed to the HCU purchasing department. In the case of financing from third-party funds, the review of admissibility in the respective project will be initiated here via the third-party funds controlling. You will receive an approval from the HCU purchasing department by e-mail on the basis of which you can submit the paper to the publisher. Where possible, please enter "HafenCity Universität Hamburg, Rechnungseingang, Henning-Voscherau-Platz 1, 20457 Hamburg" as the invoice address. Without prior approval of your requisition by the HCU purchasing department, neither the invoice nor the reimbursement of expenses can be accepted by HCU. If the item is rejected, the requisition is invalid. .

What do I have to consider when publishing a work in green open access on a repository?

If you want to publish a work on an open access repository that has already been published in a publishing house, you have to check your contract with the publishing house. If your research project is publicly funded in Germany, you may (under certain conditions) have the right to publish your work on an open access repository after an embargo period of one yeear - no matter what your contract says. This is called Zweitveröffentlichungsrecht.
Further information: FAQ Zweitveröffentlichung (in German).

Why should I apply a license to my open access publication?

A Creative Commons license makes the legal spreading of your work more easy. For scientific works, the license that is usually recommended is CC-BY. This license allows others to share and re-use your work, but they have to mention you as the author.
Further information: Creative Commons.

To what kind of works can I apply an open content license?

You can apply a Creative Commons license to your creative work, such as texts or videos (see above).

You may not be allowed to apply a license to a work that has been previously published in a publishing house in closed access, because the publishing house may possess a part of the publishing rights.

In the case of software or hardware, you have to look into Open Source licenses.

What is the ORCID ID?

The Open Researcher and Contributor ID, ORCID, is a persistent digital identifier which makes it possible to connect your person with your research activities -  without ambiguities. ORCID solves the problem that many researchers have the same name by giving you a unique identifier. Registration for an ORCID takes only 30 seconds. After registration, you can add your scientific work to your ORCID, for example by importing the metadata from your publications from other databases.
Further information: ORCID.

You can profit from publishing a pre- or post-print via Green Open Access, even if you have published your article in closed access.

In some cases, you have the right to publish a post-print of your work in Open Access no matter what other agreements exist with a publishing house. This is called Zweitveröffentlichungsrecht.
Further information: FAQ Zweitveröffentlichungsrecht (in German).

Many publishing houses allow authors to publish a pre- or post-print in an institutional repository, sometimes after an embargo period. You can check your contract for this.
You can also ask the publishing house for the permission to publish your work as Green Open Access.
If you do not have your contract at hand, you can check the Sherpa-Romeo database for publisher copyright policies (but do make sure to verify this information with your publisher).

Once all legal issues are clarified, you can publish your work on the HCU repository as Green Open Access.

The HCU has concluded special contracts with four publishers. These contracts allow HCU members to publish at reduced rates in pure OA journals (gold open access) and/or to publish at reduced rates in traditional subscription journals (hybrid OA). Below you will find the conditions offered by the publishers MDPI, Sage and Wiley.


Since 15 September 2019, the HCU has been an institutional member of the open access publishing house MDPI (Multidisciplinary Publishing Institute).

Gold open access:
HCU members receive a 10% discount on the article fees of all the publisher's OA journals. Invoicing is still done by the authors.

MDPI is an open access publisher based in Switzerland. The publishing house's programme includes a wide range of scientific journals, including the titles Sustainability, Energies and Water. There are also some journals in the humanities and social sciences.

More information about the journals of the publishing house MDPI can be found here.


The HCU participates in a consortium agreement with the publisher Sage, which also includes open access regulations.

Gold open access:
HCU members can publish in original OA journals (e.g. Sage Open) at a 20% discount.

Hybrid open access (Sage Open Choice):
HCU members can publish in journals from the Social Sciences and Humanities package at the highly discounted price of the equivalent of 240 Euros. Please contact the library team to clarify whether the journal you have chosen is part of the contract.

Green open access:
The article version published in a traditional subscription journal can be republished on a publication server (e.g. repOS from HCU) after a so-called embargo period of one year.

Wiley & Springer Nature

The HCU signed the DEAL contract with the publishers Wiley and Springer Nature. The contract with Wiley runs in a pilot phase from 2019-2022 and the one with Springer Nature from 2020-2022.

HCU members will be able to publish in Wiley and Springer Nature journals without having to pay publication fees themselves.

Gold open access:
HCU members can publish in an original open access journal.

Hybrid open access:
The online version of your article in a traditional subscription journal becomes open access. Wiley calls this "Online Open", Springer Nature calls this "Open Choice". The print version of the journal is still subject to a fee.

To publish open access under the conditions of the DEAL agreement, you must be a corresponding or submitting author and indicate this in the online submission process.

The contract also includes reading access to the whole online journal portfolio of both publishers, including the volumes up to 1997.

If you have any questions regarding publishing contracts, please contact the digitaledienste(at)hcu-hamburg.de.

Wie kann ich entscheiden, ob ein Open-Access-Journal seriös und qualitätsgeprüft ist?

Wenn Sie sich nicht sicher sind, ob ein bestimmtes Journal einen angemessenen Qualitätsstandard hat, gibt es eine einfache Checkliste: think.check.submit. Dort werden Sie durch eine Liste von Fragen ("check") geführt, die Ihnen die Entscheidung erleichtern.

Eine einfache Möglichkeit ist es zu prüfen, ob das Journal in der Whitelist Directory of Open Access Journals ist. In diese Liste werden nur Journals aufgenommen, die bestimmte Qualitätsstandards haben.

Wurden Sie von einem Journal angeschrieben und es kommt Ihnen unseriös vor? Leiten Sie uns gerne die fragliche E-Mail weiter an digitaledienste(at)hcu-hamburg.de.

Eine weitere Hilfestellung bei der Auswahl eines Open-Access-Journals ist die Liste der meistzitierten Open-Access-Journals, welche vom nationalen Open-Access-Kontaktpunkt zusammengestellt wurde.


Ich muss für die Erstveröffentlichung in einem Open-Access-Journal eine Publikationsgebühr bezahlen. Wie läuft an der HCU die Bezahlung ab?

Als erstes sollten Sie zwei Dinge sicherstellen: Erstens, dass Sie die Mittel zur Bezahlung haben. Zweitens, dass das Journal in dem Sie veröffentlichen wollen, seriös ist. Hierzu können Sie die Checkliste think.check.submit (s.o.) heranziehen oder Sie wenden sich bei Unklarheiten an die Open-Access-Beratung der Bibliothek.

Für die Zahlung der Publikationsgebühr ist eine Prüfung und Freigabe durch den Einkauf notwendig. Bitte füllen Sie daher vor der Einreichung des Paper eine Bedarfsmeldung aus und senden Sie es unterschrieben an den HCU-Einkauf. Im Falle der Finanzierung aus Drittmitteln wird hier über das Drittmittelcontrolling die Prüfung der Zulässigkeit im jeweiligen Projekt veranlasst. Sie erhalten vom HCU Einkauf per E-Mail eine Freigabe auf Basis derer Sie das Paper beim Verlag einreichen können. Bitte hinterlegen Sie, wo möglich, als Rechnungsadresse „HafenCity Universität Hamburg, Rechnungseingang, Henning-Voscherau-Platz 1, 20457 Hamburg“. Ohne die vorherige Freigabe Ihrer Bedarfsmeldung durch den HCU Einkauf kann weder die Rechnung noch die Auslagenerstattung durch die HCU übernommen werden. Sollte der Artikel abgelehnt werden, ist die Bedarfsmeldung hinfällig.

Was sind die rechtlichen Rahmenbedingungen für eine Zweitveröffentlichung auf einem Publikationsserver?

Ob Sie Ihr Werk auf einem Publikationsserver, zum Beispiel dem HCU-Repository zweitveröffentlichen können, steht in der Regel in dem Vertrag, den Sie für die Erstveröffentlichung abgeschlossen haben. Wurde Ihr Forschungsprojekt mit öffentlichen Mittel finanziert, haben Sie unter bestimmten Bedingungen das Recht, Ihr Werk nach einer Embargofrist von einem Jahr als Zweitveröffentlichung zu publizieren, egal was im Verlagsvertrag steht. Dies wird Zweitveröffentlichungsrecht genannt. Weitere Informationen: FAQ Zweitveröffentlichung.

Warum sollte ich meine Open Access Publikation unter eine Lizenz stellen?

Die Verwendung einer Open-Content-Lizenz erleichtert die ungehinderte und legale Verbreitung Ihres Werks. Für wissenschaftliche Werke wird oft die CC-BY-Lizenz empfohlen. Dadurch wird Ihr Urheberrecht nicht beeinträchtigt. Sie erlauben anderen, das Werk zu nutzen, Sie verpflichten die Nutzer aber zur Nennung Ihres Namens. Weitere Informationen: irights.info.

Welche Werke kann ich unter eine freie Lizenz stellen?

Erstveröffentlichungen Ihrer kreativen Werke, wie Texte oder auch Musik und Videos können Sie unter eine Creative Commons Lizenz stellen (s.o.).

Zweitveröffentlichungen dürfen Sie nicht ohne weiteres unter eine Open Content Lizenz stellen, da Sie (einen Teil) der Verwertungsrechte an den Verlag abgegeben haben, in dem die Erstveröffentlichung erschienen ist.

Für Software und Hardware sind Creative Commons Lizenzen nicht geeignet. Hierfür eignen sich Open Source Lizenzen.

Was ist die ORCID ID?

Die Open Researcher and Contributor ID, kurz ORCID, ist eine Kennung, über die Sie Ihren eigenen Forschungsoutput (Artikel, Daten, Software, etc.) eindeutig mit Ihrer Person verbinden können. ORCID löst das Problem, dass weltweit oft mehrere Forscher denselben Namen haben, indem Forschende eine unverwechselbare Zahlenkennung zugewiesen bekommen. Die Registrierung für eine ORCID ID dauert nur 30 Sekunden. Ihre wissenschaftlichen Werke können Sie dann ganz leicht aus anderen Quellen importieren und ihrer ORCID ID zuordnen. Weitere Informationen: ORCID.


Do you have any questions about open access? Please do not hesitate to contact us.

Alexandra Jobmann
Tel: +49 (0) 40 42827-5362
E-mail: digitaledienste(at)hcu-hamburg.de

We offer events on the topics of open access and open science. Feel free to contact us if you have specific requests.